Monday, September 7, 2009

We survived the aiport

Well this last round of IVIG went much better. Patrick did great at the doctors office but when I say we survived the airport, I should say "we barely survived the airport."
Patrick was so very stimmy that the airport completely over excited him. Landing in Orlando had him saying "Disney, beach" over and over.
The real kicker came when we went down to the ground transportation area where he spotted the Disney bus he rode in last spring. We provided some real entertainment for the rest of the customers in the car rental line with us. We even had people letting us go first...you know that things are bad when others let you go before them in today's society.
The trip was overall very taxing. A definite bright spot was that he did so well at the doctors office and the other bright spot is what a helper his seven year old sister can be to me. She was great for helping out in the airport and helping in the hotel.
I know these types of moments are the ones that make our family bond stronger and yes, makes me a better person. But sometimes it is tough.
I watched a documentary the other night about a lady who had adopted around fifteen or so children with a mental or physical challenges. It made me realize that life with autism might not be a path that I would have knowingly chosen but I sure know that things could be much much worse for our family. I have the utmost respect for all other parents out there who know what it is like to be in the trenches fighting alongside their child.

No comments:

Post a Comment