Thursday, August 13, 2009

The IVIG experience from h**l

I am almost too wiped out to write this and tell the story like it should be told. I would have cried yesterday out of sheer exhaustion but I decided that since Patrick was the one going through the pain and stress of the experience physically that it would be selfish of me to be the one crying.
Our IVIG experience actually started last week. Our IVIG med was actually sent to the wrong address and ended up at another patient's address. Just an honest mistake from someone who was printing the shipping label at the doctor office.
Our appointment was postponed from last Thursday to yesterday, Wednesday. Patrick was excited about a "trip" in "mama's car" and was so thrilled to get in with a few of his new books.
He got his IV about 1:50 PM yesterday. Typically the IVIG lasts about roughly four hours.
At first the pump that I rent for the IV procedure would not work. We tried the cord where we could plug it into an electrical source but even though we got a green light on the cord, the actual machine would not start.
A friend of the doctors who was also receiving an iv, called one of his employees to bring us batteries because the batteries that came with the machine were dead. We finally got it working and started the iv.
To make a long story short, it plugged up five times. The dr had to flush it out four times and by roughly 8 PM that night when she needed to re-do the entire IV and insert it into his other hand, Patrick just freaked out. He had to be sedated with a shot of versed. He resisted the shot like you cannot imagine and then fought the effects of it.
Finally we had to quit the procedure at 9:30 PM and he still had not actually gotten his full dose of his IVIG. We had an over two hour drive back home.
I felt so terrible for Patrick. He was such a trooper. We saw the tubing was blocking because the medication was crystallizing. We were supposed to get a new batch of the IVIG but now we are wondering if we were sent the old batch. It is supposed to be kept cold and has a short shelf life. Everyone we speak to has never seen normal IVIG crystallize in the tubing like that.
It has just been exhausting. We got lost when we left the Dr office because the GPS could not find the satellite. It was frustrating with the state I was already in. We got home close to 1 AM.
Patrick was whimpering and exhausted, running a low grade fever.
What a heck of a day. You know, we love our children with all our hearts, I am sure you can relate.....we do anything we can for them. It is torture when you can't explain these problems to the kids.
I started out the day so optimistic. Just Patrick and I....bonding...on our trip together....getting his treatment. Then it all just derailed.
I can't imagine how he will act next time he has to have an IV. He was very distressed. We are still exhausted and distressed almost 24 hours later.
There is much more that I want to add but I am too exhausted right now to put more thought into this.
Bottom line...our kids are hero's for what they go through.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. I can't imagine what it must have been like.

    Our kids are really tough. They go through a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do. I have so much admiration for all of them. That is why I never cried even though on the way home when we got lost and the gps quit working I wanted to break down! I thought I have no excuse for crying because look at what PACKY has been through today!

    ReplyDelete