Friday, October 8, 2010

October has arrived!


Patrick has learned to ride his bike!!! It is still with his training wheels but he has learned the concept of "pushing" the petals. We were all very excited over this new accomplishment.
This perfect fall weather has been heaven sent for the kids to play outside. I bought them this heavy duty bounce castle off of Ebay. I decided that I would get my money's worth real quick just in the next few birthdays. They love it!
This is for all the home schoolers, parents of special needs kids, and just anyone dealing with a typically developing child as well. I think I am going through one of those times with setting limits with the kids where you start thinking "Is it just me or I wonder if all parents go through this?" It seems like manners, back talk, and "first time told" as Ms. Joni calls it have all kind of swirled together into a little funnel cloud. HA.
I am just trying the basic strategy of first time told and complete follow through. My daughter who is 8 sometimes likes to think she is 28. She loves to interrupt while I am on the phone or interject comments into adult conversation. Her Grammy and I have both decided this week that enough is enough. We commented today that we think she is doing a "little bit" better but we have a ways to go.
We are really hoping to be in our new house soon. That will help us so much with routine and setting limits with each child. I think the one thing the kids and I are looking forward to most is decorating for Halloween. We found a great yard sale with a whole treasure cache of super cool Halloween figures. Needless to say we have big plans. Little Bob is having a birthday party next weekend so we are hoping to be decorated and ready to go for his big day. We still have a lot to do so please keep us in your prayers.
Moms....some "me" time is a must. I think that it is important to carve out this time for yourself. Not just physical time for a work out or fun time for lunch with the girls but I am deciding that spiritual "me" time might be one of the most important things that we need to make time for. I really neglected this part of my life for the last few years; not to say I didn't make it into church most Sundays at a dead run and then rush home but I mean "real" quality spiritual time.
I am in the middle of a great book on this topic. More later!

No comments:

Post a Comment