Friday, June 26, 2009

I am sitting here typing this and mentally checking off all the items that I need to do to prepare for the Mrs. Galaxy pageant within the next two weeks. One may wonder why I want to spend my time preparing for a beauty pageant. I was actually doing a radio interview awhile back and the guy asked me why in the world I wanted to do pageants.
Why? Well, of all the negative things I hear that are portrayed on reality shows regarding pageants....which I am happy to say I don't watch reality shows or basically any television shows......I can honestly say I haven't had those crazy experiences. I have met some of my best friends through pageants. I have already met some wonderful women who are affiliated with the Galaxy pageant and I have met some of the nicest, most admirable women I have known through Mrs. International.
Beauty pageants gave me a strong motivation to get my body/mind back in shape after four children. Believe me, I needed something. I think it was the final straw when my husband told me I was fat and I would never get myself in shape to compete in a local America prelim. To be completely up front, I wasn't a size 2 like I had been B.C. (before children) however, I was roughly a size 8 and even a 6 depending on the designer. I also weighed 130 lbs. That comment from him in the heat of anger and just all around misery that we were experiencing with each other at the time turned out to be the best thing anyone has ever said to me.
He said that in mid Dec 2005, and by March 2006 I was crowned Mrs Purchase Area. By July of 2006 I was in the best shape of my life!!!
Additionally, pageants have given me great vehicle for promoting Autism Awareness and now even MDRI, Mental Disability Rights International on a much larger level than I ever could just in my hometown. At Mrs International I got to talk about autism on television with Bob Eubanks (of the Newlywed Game fame).
Hey, and being in pageants has given me this fabulous wardrobe! I sure wouldnt have these clothes if I was just hanging around the house with the kids. Staying in pageants over the last three years has also given me the opportunity to stay in shape and to always have a fitness goal hanging out there. It is a good thing because I havent wavered too much on my fitness routine.
I would urge anyone to find a goal...whether a fitness goal or other goal such as a class or completing an art project. Setting goals can change your life and once you reach that first goal they keep changing and YOU keep growing!

3 comments:

  1. I commend you for pursuing your goals through pageants. I used to be in them for years, and I loved them. I'm totally out of shape now and could use some motivation, but I don't ever see myself being on pageant level again. But, I can attest that you certainly are! :) Can't wait to read more of your blogs...especially on autism. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl. :) Thanks so much for getting me into this. As I wrote this morning I realized that I could literally write about autism daily...from the diet to the movie talk. Just as I was typing I thought of two subjects that can literally use their own "headline" because there is so, so much to be said. I am also going to blog about the IVIG. We have another treatment coming up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope it goes well. I think M is going to try it again with her son. I'm so glad you've got a blog. :)

    ReplyDelete